Bitterwood

Bitterwood
"For the sake of humanity, join in Bitterwood's revolt." - Kirkus Reviews

Sunday, April 13, 2008

63417

Woohoo! I'm past the half-way mark. Not quite 8k words this week; a bit low, but the fight scene I was working on had a tougher choreography than I'd anticipated. Also, fight scenes can really strain the old vocabulary, especially in the third book of a fantasy novel. I've already used up all the obvious fantasy weapon verbs: slicing, hacking, slashing, piercing, gouging, crushing, biting, stabbing, cutting, etc. I don't have formal quotas on any one verb, but it do sometimes find myself thinking, "Hmm. Is this the fourth eye gouged in this book? Or the fifth? Because five is obviously too many."

So, don't be shocked if you're reading the last chapter of the third book and you find a fight scene that reads, "Bitterwood grabbed the jawbone of the ass, then smacked the dragon upside the head. The shit went down, verily."

For the next trilogy, I may just have everyone shake hands, talk out thier differences, then sit around and make small talk for 120k words. Just really get to know the characters inner lives, thier hopes, their dreams.

Oh, who am I kidding? You know someone's going to have an arrow sticking out of them before the first chapter's over.

In other writing news this week, I sold a story to Daikaijuzine. It should appear in September. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: